The city of Anaheim has officially recognized a populous borough known for its Arab-American residents and businesses as “Little Arabia.”
Last week, Disney+ released the sardonic Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers, a live-action film that unabashedly pokes fun at Disney’s own offerings. A contrast to the picture-perfect personas projected in the classics, beloved characters here appear to be hiding beneath sweet façades while working in the underworld.
This upcoming Winnie-the-Pooh movie, however, isn’t by the unusually self-deprecating Disney. It’s the creation of Rhys Frake-Waterfield and UK movie production studio Jagged Edge, who will soon premiere a horror film featuring none other than Pooh Bear. They aren’t coy about identifying the muse, either, as the flick will be entitled Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey.
In case you haven’t heard, Disney lost exclusive rights to author A.A. Milne’s first iterations of Winnie-the-Pooh on the first day of this year, when a bevy of classic works entered the public domain. This permits anyone to reinterpret the 95-year-old edition however they deem.
As Disney can’t honey-coat Winnie-the-Pooh on its own now, this version of the bear is far more sinister. Teaser visuals newly shared by the producers seem to depict him as a human killer wearing an animal mask.
Not only that, but Piglet appears to return as Pooh’s sidekick—or, should we say, partner in crime.
The only other details disclosed so far are the names of the main cast, which include Amber Doig-Thorne, Maria Taylor, and Danielle Scott, as detailed on Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey’s IMDb page. The release date has yet to be announced.
We know for a fact that Tigger won’t be in this movie since he only appeared in Milne’s books from 1928, so he’s still under the shackles of Disney. Christopher Robin and Eeyore are free to go, though, so might they escape into a world of darkness too?
If Disney isn’t careful, Mickey Mouse could be the next to go under the chainsaw. The Steamboat Willie version of its star character is slated to enter the public domain in 2024.
Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu has resigned amid an FBI’s corruption probe related to the sale of Angel Stadium.
His resignation takes effect at midnight Tuesday.
The resignation comes as it was revealed last week that the mayor was the subject of a probe by the FBI, which alleged in a search warrant affidavit that he had fed insider information to Angels executives in the stadium deal and arranged to have a helicopter bought registered in Arizona so he could save money on taxes.
The FBI alleges that Sidhu was hoping to get a $1 million-dollar campaign donation from the team. That never happened and the FBI says the Angels were unaware of the scheme, but this has been building for a while now.
“A fair and thorough investigation will prove that Mayor Harry Sidhu did not leak secret information in the hopes of a later political campaign contribution,” Sidhu’s Attorney Paul S. Meyer said in a statement. “His unwavering goal form the start has been to keep the Angels in Anaheim, so that this vibrant social and economic relationship would continue…
“Mayor Harry Sidhu has has always, as his foremost priority, acted in the best interests of the City of Anaheim, and he does so today. In order to continue to act in the best interests of Anaheim and allow this great City to move forward without distraction, Harry Sidhu has resigned from his post as Mayor effective May 24, 2022.”
This comes as last week, three Anaheim City Council members called on Mayor Sidhu to resign amid the FBI corruption probe into his involvement in the proposed sale of Angel Stadium to team owner Arte Moreno.
A viral TikTok video showing the Kardashians riding the Mad Tea Party surrounded by 15 empty teacups sparks social media outrage.
The Kardashians made headlines during a recent trip to Disneyland when they cut in line and jumped on rides all by themselves while crowds were forced to wait as the reality TV stars enjoyed the Mad Tea Party and Dumbo the Flying Elephant.
Kim Kardashian, sister Khloe and their children “sparked outrage” after a viral TikTok video showed them riding the Mad Tea Party surrounded by 15 empty teacups as “disgruntled” and “furious” visitors waited in a “massive” line for the Fantasyland attraction, according to the Daily Mail.
“You can’t sit with us!” screamed the Daily Mail headline. “Massive crowd forced to wait as Kardashian family enjoy teacups and Dumbo ride with EMPTY seats at Disneyland while on $3K VIP tour.”
Photos posted to Kim Kardashian’s Instagram account show the family also riding on the otherwise empty Dumbo the Flying Elephant attraction during their day at the Anaheim theme park, according to the United Kingdom’s Daily Mail.
The social media photos show the Kardashians escorted throughout the park by a Disneyland guest relations cast member in a familiar red-and-green plaid vest. The reality TV stars paid $2,975 for a VIP tour of Disneyland that included priority access to rides, according to the Daily Mail.
The Kardashian’s Disneyland trip complete with VIP treatment “highlighted the difficulty of being one of the most famous families on earth,” according to TMZ.
“For them, it’s kinda a necessity, since they would be overwhelmed by fans if they stood in line and the trip would be a disaster for the kids,” according to TMZ.
The tabloid darlings visited Disneyland to celebrate the fourth birthday of Khloe Kardashian’s daughter True, according to the Daily Mail.
The decision to shut down the teacup ride to everyone but the Kardashians was made by Disneyland, according to TMZ.
“We’re told the Kardashians didn’t request that the ride be shut down to other guests,” according to TMZ. “Disneyland staff just did it. They did not shut down other rides for the fam.”
Source: OC Register
A video posted on YouTube shows Santa Ana police officers waking up a neighborhood during an investigation Monday night as they blasted Disney music from one of their patrol vehicles to stop a YouTuber from recording on scene.
In the video, an officer said they were at a scene near West Civic Center Drive and North Western Avenue for a vehicle theft investigation.
The first song heard playing in the video is “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from the Disney/Pixar film “Toy Story.”
It was almost 11 p.m. when “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” “Un Poco Loco,” and other Disney hits filled the air. At one point, the YouTuber is heard telling officers to “have respect for the neighbors.”
The music drags on, waking up people in their homes, including children and Councilmember Johnathan Hernandez.
“It was eerie, and it was discomforting because you don’t hear Disney music being played that loud near 11 o’clock at night,” Hernandez told Eyewitness News during a Zoom interview Wednesday.
Hernandez is seen in the video speaking with one of the officers.
“Why are you doing this?” Hernandez asked.
“Because they get copyright infringement,” the officer replied.
The YouTuber is heard in the recording saying it’s because “he knows I have a YouTube channel.” That channel is called Santa Ana Audits.
On Wednesday, it had more than 3,500 subscribers and appeared to focus on recording SAPD officers on scene, a right protected by the First Amendment as long as there is no interference with police work.
Eyewitness News reached out to professor of music and copyright at Berklee Online Dr. E. Michael Harrington, who said the incident got into copyright law.
“I’ve been reading about it and seeing it on YouTube,” Harrington said. He was talking about officers playing music without purchasing the rights to it, a tactic to discourage recording.
“I think it’s clearly illegal because it is a public performance,” Harrington said of the officers playing the music loud enough for the public to hear.
In addition, when the videos are shared, the person posting it risks fines or even getting banned from the streaming or social media platform.
“YouTube has bots that go around and they match the song they’re hearing, and then if that’s on YouTube and it wasn’t cleared, then the music, the song recording and the copyright, they get taken down, and then the person [who] posted it, who is trying to be a good citizen to say, ‘Watch what this cop did or cops, they should be prosecuted,’ that person now gets a copyright strike for doing an act that’s far more important than what the cops are doing,” Harrington said.
An SAPD spokesperson told ABC7 Wednesday the incident is under investigation.
Chief of Police David Valentin issued a statement confirming the incident involved one of their officers. The statement from Valentin read, “My expectation is that all police department employees perform their duties with dignity and respect in the community we are hired to serve.”
In the YouTube video, Hernandez tells the officer, “I’m embarrassed that this is how you’re treating my neighbors. There’s children here. Have some respect for my community.”
The officer is heard replying, “I realize I made a mistake sir. I apologize.”
The two shake hands in the video.
“You know what? People make mistakes all the time, but unfortunately, we can’t afford to make these mistakes when we’re public servants,” Hernandez told Eyewitness News.
ABC7 reached out to others who witnessed the incident, but they didn’t feel comfortable going on the record, saying they feared retaliation. People in the neighborhood said this wasn’t the first time they’ve seen this happen.
Harrington said copyright fines can run anywhere from $750 to $150,000.
That’s times two because both the writer and the owner of the recording can take legal action.
Disney, its streaming service, and more mature content have been hot topics as of late. Whether it’s the new parental controls because of the Netflix Marvel series bringing their TV-MA rating to Disney+, or a darker MCU outing in Moon Knight finally seeing the light of day, a contingent of parents is worried about their kids falling into mature content on the largely kid-friendly service.
That is not to say the service has lacked any brutal violence or mature themes. Across the MCU, Star Wars, and elsewhere in the Disneyverse, there have been instances of some pretty shocking/adult sequences. Even Disney+ original series like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier have featured shots and scenes that would fall into the more adult bucket.
TFATWS specifically saw a man beat someone to death with one of the most iconic symbols in Marvel history, which came alongside a number of instances featuring blood and violence. Despite this, in an unprecedented move, Disney has gone back and edited the patriotic series to remove one of its darker scenes.
Brought to the attention of The Direct by Caleb Steel, eagle-eyed Reddit user u/MooninMoulin noticed that Disney has edited/censored The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, switching out a couple of bloody scenes with more family-friendly edits.
The first of these comes from the death of Hydra scientist Wilfred Nagel in Episode 3 of the series. Where there was once blood painted on Nagel’s face and shirt, there is now nothing. Also, instead of Nagel’s eyes remaining open, confirming his death, they are now closed.
Another altered shot focuses on a bounty hunter who, in the original edit, gets a pipe stabbed into her shoulder after Bucky Barnes throws it in her direction, thus pinning her to a shipping container. However, in the new version, that pipe bounces off the goon and goes flying, no longer piercing her flesh and the steel door behind her.
Source: The Direct
Once the Bel-Air teaser dropped, fans seemed to be intrigued to learn more about the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reboot. The show definitely looks like it’s going to have a different vibe, as the teaser’s underwater scene is proof enough of that. But when it comes to a reboot of a beloved show, the cast must try to fill tremendous shoes, which is especially true for drama’s lead star. And the drama’s lead actor, Jabari Banks, had to fill the shoes of Hollywood superstar Will Smith. Banks was fully aware of this, and he recently explained how and why his approach will differ from the King Richard star’s.
On the surface, the Emancipation alum’s involvement in the show seemed to signal that the final product would be closer to the 90s sitcom. But that’s far from the case. Just like many of us, Banks grew up watching the original series, but it won’t really inform his version.. The up-and-coming star opened up to Entertainment Weekly about giving the beloved character an appropriately fresh take:
I remember watching The Fresh Prince and realizing what TV was for the first time. Like, ‘Oh, this is entertainment!’ … The show molded me. And growing up, people always told me I resembled Will and his energy… When I got the call, they said, ‘This isn’t Will Smith, superstar.’ They weren’t going for that. And so when they chose me, it took me a couple of weeks to realize that they chose me for me — for what I do.
Thankfully, the producers wanted Jabari Banks to give his interpretation of the iconic character. Emulating Will Smith could yield some mixed results, which is what the creatives likely knew. The team’s words surely eased the pressure on the theater grad, which should allow him to bring his own skills and experiences to the already established character. Given the reboot’s dramatic take, Banks’ Smith will likely be much more than the funny playboy of the classic sitcom.
Of course, there were questions as to whether he could handle being the series’ lead actor, given his minimal acting experience. The unsureness was eased once the pilot was filmed, though. While speaking with EW, producer T.J. Brady called the performer “a star” based on the episode’s first cut.
Once the show got the green light, things seemed to move quite quickly for the Fresh Prince revamp. When the Bel-Air fan film initially went viral back in 2019, it had devoted fans quickly pushing for a revival. But things didn’t really pick up until Will Smith got involved to help get the show made. Fast forward to two years later, and the first season is in the works with a two-season order, despite some shakeups. Additionally, Smith is on board as a producer, which should help to maintain some creative continuity. But of course, it’ll be great to see a new spin on the premise, and Jabari Banks has the tools to make a serious splash.
Bel-Air is set to premiere on Peacock on Feb. 13, 2022. Until the reimagining debuts, you can watch all six seasons of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on HBO Max.
What do The Incredibles’ Elastigirl, Megara from Disney’s Hercules, the mom in Dexter’s Laboratory, and even Zootopia’s rabbit protagonist Judy Hopps have in common? That’s right—they’re all depicted with wide hips, a feature that animators commonly add to portray the fact that the characters aren’t kids or teens.
As summed up in a video by YouTube channel fullcomma, this aspect of cartoon character design is called ‘Hartman Hips’. It’s named after Butch Hartman, who isn’t the first to use the technique but frequently employs it.
It’s important for animators to differentiate sexually mature females from younger figures, so the characters’ shoulders are narrowed, their waists are cinched, and their hips—often a package deal with well-endowed rear behinds—are widened, creating a pear-like silhouette.
The reason bustlines are kept small is because boards and viewers might perceive augmenting breasts as a form of sexualization, and that’s not something producers of family-friendly animations want.
The stylistic differences denoting age have become such a standard in the industry, you’ll subconsciously rely on them to tell older characters from younger ones without having to hear their voices.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson became famous as a wrestler and an actor. Now he’s also adding rapper to his résumé.
The 49-year-old actor made what he calls his “historic rap debut” with a feature in Tech N9ne’s song “Face Off,” released Friday. The song, which also features rappers Joey Cool and King Iso, is part of the Kansas City rapper’s newest album “Asin9ne.”
“Made my historic rap debut (thankfully I didn’t suck) Huge shout to all the hip hop & music fans for your HYPE reactions,” Johnson tweeted Friday.
Johnson lays down the last verse of “Face Off” rapping about “drive” and “power.”
“We stay hungry, we devour / Put in the work, put in the hours and take what’s ours /
Black and Samoan in my veins, my culture bangin’ with Strange,” he raps referring to Tech N9ne’s record label Strange Music Inc.
In an interview with Variety published Friday Johnson said he doesn’t see a long-term career in rap but would think about giving it another go in the future.
“I would love to do a repeat with Tech N9ne and Strange Music. If I had the opportunity to collaborate with another artist out there — hip hop artists, blues artists, outlaw country artists — then let’s talk and let’s figure it out,” Johnson said. “If I could rap about the right words that feel real and authentic to me, then I’ll be happy to break out that Teremana, take a few big swigs and jump back into the studio.”
“THANK YOU to my brother, the GOAT @therealtechn9ne for coming up with this big crazy idea of wanting me to drop some Rock gasoline bars on the fire,” Johnson wrote on an Instagram video with a clip of his verse.
Source: USA Today
San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich acknowledges the challenges ahead of the NBA this season as teams reports to training camp, explains how he plans to approach coaching the Team USA Basketball team at the Summer Olympics and shares how the Spurs will maintain the up-tempo style they experimented with in the Disney bubble.