COVID-19 Cases Recorded In Antarctica For First Time – Isolated Continent Reportedly Registers First Infections After 36 Chileans Fall Ill At Research Base

Antarctica, once the only continent not to be affected by the coronavirus pandemic, has reportedly recorded its first cases. The 36 new infections are among people stationed at a Chilean research base and include 26 members of the Chilean army and 10 maintenance workers.

Spanish-language media reported the outbreak at the General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme research base on Monday.

In a statement, the Chilean army said: “Thanks to the timely preventive action … it was possible to relieve said personnel, who, after being subjected to a medical control and the administration of a PCR test … turned out to be positive for Covid-19,” according to Newsweek. It reported that three crew members on a ship providing support to the base have also tested positive since returning from their mission to Antarctica.

The 36 individuals who tested positive have since been evacuated to the city of Punta Arenas in Chile, where they are reported to be under isolation and in good condition.

General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme is one of 13 Chilean bases on the island, the ABC reports.

Trying to keep the virus at bay in Antarctica has come at a cost. All major research projects in the Antarctic have been halted. As a result, research by scientists around the world has been interrupted.

While the continent has no permanent residents, it 1,000 researchers and other visitors stayed on the island over winter, according to the Associated Press.

In March, as the world locked down in response to Covid’s rapid spread, the Antarctic programs agreed the pandemic could become a major disaster. With the world’s strongest winds and coldest temperatures, the continent roughly the size of the United States and Mexico is already dangerous for workers at its 40 year-round bases.

Source: The Guardian

Hong Kong Mall Hilariously Replaces Racy Scantily-Clad Pin-Up Girls After Takedown Complaint

A mall frequented by locals in Hong Kong has addressed furor surrounding provocative illustrations of scantily-clad women… by somehow making them more outrageous. 

The nine-story Dragon Centre at Hong Kong’s Sham Shui Po had been recognizable for its racy billboards by illustrator Elphonso Lam Cheung-kwan depicting pin-up girls in swimsuits, sportswear, and school uniforms. 

The risqué appeal became part of the mall’s branding, and nuances of it were even added to buses. 

However, not all locals were receptive to this sort of aesthetic. According to the Hong Kong Standard, district councilor Nicole Lau Pui-yuk from the conservative Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong pushed for the artworks to be taken down following complaints from parents, who thought the imagery was inappropriate and raunchy. 

The artist responded that the illustrations had been approved by the Obscene Articles Tribunal, and suggested that the graphics would only be indecent if the viewer’s thoughts were indecent in the first place. 

Nonetheless, disgruntled parents got what they wished for—though not exactly in the way they had imagined. Instead of wholly replacing the imagery, Dragon Centre kept faithful to its cheeky branding by parodying the original graphics. 

Source: DesignTAXI